Sunday, February 23, 2014

Week 5, Day 6: Too Many Choices

It's been a few days since I've blogged; there was no weigh-in or class last Monday because of the President's Day holiday, so I'm not sure how many pounds I've lost since the last meeting. My clothes feel looser so I'm sure I've lost a few more. Tomorrow night is the weigh-in and a brief one-on-one session with the doctor, so I'll find out if I'm going on blood pressure meds, or not.

I am finding the Optifast meal replacement plan to be more comforting than restricting. I have my daily routine of shake-shake-bar-soup-shake and rarely vary from that order. There are few flavors of "product" to choose from, so I never go into "choices overload." What I mean by that is having so many options that it boggles my mind and I end up getting "stuck."

Last weekend I was doing chores around the house and there was a marathon on the TLC channel of a program called Say Yes To The Dress.  Now, I'm single and not likely to get married anytime soon, so anything wedding-related usually doesn't grab my attention. However, this program shows brides (young and not-so-young) in a bridal salon, trying to choose a dress with a whole committee of friends, relatives and friends-of-friends (some of whom are straight males -- I can't imagine how interested they would be in wedding dress shopping). At any rate, these poor women are shown so many dresses and bombarded with opinions (solicited and otherwise) that it's enough to provoke a meltdown.

I'm just half-watching it on TV (not in real life) and it's enough to blow off the top of my head. :)

I remember when I got married, back when Ronald Reagan was still president. I went to the bridal shop with only my mother, not an entourage. I described to the saleswoman what I was looking for, and in what price range. My mother, who knew me very well, told the saleswoman, "Show us no more than five dresses. We don't want the bride here to have a nervous breakdown."

I tried on the five dresses and picked the one I liked best. Voila, deal done, over in about half an hour. That wouldn't have made very entertaining television, but it's my style and I'm sticking to it.

That might be what appeals to me about the Kaiser MWM Optifast plan. I don't have to make a decision beyond vanilla or chocolate, chicken soup or tomato. I know that these easy days will eventually end and I'll have to make decisions again, but right now I'm enjoying my "vacation from food." Rather than feeling restricted and deprived, I'm feeling free.

The opposite is happening with my crafting life! Recently I branched out from simply knitting, crocheting and tatting to spinning yarn, and then weaving. This weekend I took a wire working class through the crafting group I belong to. If I'm not careful, it's bound to be another obsession of mine…


Sometimes I long for the days when I just sat down and knitted a simple scarf. So many choices, not enough leisure time!

If anyone out there is reading this…do you get bogged down by too many choices? Or do you enjoy having as many options as possible?


No comments:

Post a Comment