Monday, February 10, 2014

Week 3, Day 7: Another 3.4 Pounds Gone! Bye-Bye!

Weighed in tonight and found that another 3.4 pounds has been released. That gives me a total of 10.6 pounds since starting product on January 21. I am SO excited!

Not only is that good news, but my blood pressure was significantly lower today—145/99. Still not ideal, but a big improvement.

This evening in class our group leader, N, talked with us about setting goals. She gave us an acronym, AMOS, to remember how our goals should be:

Achievable
Measurable
Observable
Specific

Even though we all have a goal for where we want to be in 30 weeks, N said that setting a weekly weight loss goal is setting ourselves up for disappointment; since, as hard as we might try, and as perfectly as we follow the program, there is a possibility that we might not lose that week, or we might even gain. Better to set a behavioral goal instead, such as exercising every day for a certain period of time, or walking a minimum number of steps per day, or making sure we sleep for seven hours a night (which supports weight loss.)

Most of us had exercise-related goals. My goal is to exercise twice a day for 20 minutes, morning and evening, until next Monday. After Monday I will increase my goal to 30 minutes in the morning and then a shorter 15 minute walk in the evening.

We are asked to reward ourselves with something (non-food) when we have achieved our goal. My "reward" will  be a bouquet of fresh flowers. Others around the room mentioned getting a manicure, or an evening at the movies, or a new workout t-shirt. I am so used to reaching for a cookie, or a glass of wine and a piece of cheese (or whatever) when I wanted to "treat" myself, that it took me a second to come up with a "reward."

Because we are all on product only, we can't set food-related goals, per se. But one thing N said was so meaningful to me that I wrote it down. It was, "Treat your calories like cash." Don't eat junk that you can't remember five minutes later. If you are going to splurge, "budget" for it and make it something that is really, really good.

Yesterday was Sunday so I got daring and tried Zumba for the first time, on DVD. It was challenging, but a lot of fun! Because I was alone in my living room (except for my cats) I didn't worry about looking foolish and just went with it. I borrowed the disks, but I am seriously tempted to purchase a set for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment