Monday, February 17, 2014

Week 4, Day 7: Food Non-Obsession

I'm on the last day of the fourth week on product. This morning I was reflecting on how food, which was once a focal point of my life, has become so insignificant. Case in point: Last night I got so absorbed in the project I was weaving on my loom that I literally forgot to take my last meal replacement. By the time I remembered, it was 11:30 p.m., far too late to eat anything without risking major acid reflux. Skipping meals is a big no-no on the Kaiser MWM program, but I didn't do it intentionally. I'm actually thrilled with how much my mindset is changing.

Pre-MWM, I loved my fiber arts projects but it seems as if I'm now more obsessed with them as my food fixation is waning. Is that healthier? There are no calories involved, but it can be hard on the pocketbook if I'm not careful. :) I'd love to be "obsessed" with working out, but so far that hasn't happened, although working out makes me feel great.

It's a holiday weekend here in the United States (President's Day) so no work today and no class tonight. We purchased two weeks' worth of product last Monday to get us through until class next Monday. I don't have access to the Kaiser scale so I don't know "officially" how much weight I have lost since last weigh-in, but my clothes are telling me that I have lost a few more pounds.

In fact, today I am wearing a top that is labeled "Medium, size 8-10." It fits snugly, but—it fits!

I seem to feel less hungry at home than when I am at the office. Last week there were more goodies in the break room for Valentine's Day (brownies, among other things) but I'm finding it easier and easier to "just say no."

When the physician talked with our group a couple of weeks ago he discussed the difference between true and false hunger. He told us to wait 11 minutes to eat after the first "hungry" feeling. If the hunger goes away, it is false, or emotional hunger. If the hunger persists (and if sufficient time has passed since the last meal replacement), it is real, or physical hunger. This technique truly works!

Although I do savor the Optifast meal replacements (yes, I'm weird), I no longer feel like I need to medicate myself with food. Woo-hoo!!!

To those reading who are on a weight loss journey: What activity or passion do you have in your life that you can substitute for food?

No comments:

Post a Comment