Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Week 2, Day 3: The Minefield

Today was a true test of my commitment to the MWM plan. I went out to my car at 6:45 a.m. to find my right rear tire flat as a board. And I had a 7:15 a.m. meeting with my boss! I went back inside and dialed emergency road service on one phone and tried to reach my boss on the other phone. (Thank God I have two phones!) I got through to emergency road service after 35 minutes on hold, but never did reach my boss. Later he told me that his cell phone "died" a couple of weeks ago and he hasn't gotten around to getting another one. :-/

At any rate, thanks to the nice tow truck driver who inflated my tire for me (there was a nail in it) I got to the repair shop and to work just before 10:00 a.m.

However, while all this was going on, my lunch shake (chocolate, no less) exploded in my purse which  made a big mess and wasted 160 precious calories. Fortunately I had an "emergency" shaker and packet of shake mix in my desk that I could call on in such a situation.

Of course, there were the usual goodies in the break room, or as I now call it, "the Minefield":


The bagels and cream cheese smelled so good! I thought momentarily of just taking one bite, then stopped myself. I realized how much all of us depend on food to make us happy. I went into the restroom for a few minutes and did a breathing exercise to center myself, and tried to think of other ways to relieve stress besides eating. I need to have some tricks up my sleeve to make this work.

It's so easy to stay on the plan when my life is running smoothly. When there are bumps in the road it's a lot harder. If anyone out there is reading, I invite you to suggest some ways you handle stress without involving food or alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment