Friday, January 24, 2014

Week 1, Day 4: Random Musings

So far, things are going fairly well. I have had some urges to eat "regular food" but nothing overwhelming. I am finding that these urges are either triggered by: 1) stress/frustration or 2) some sort of exotic cuisine is available and I know I can't taste it.

Yesterday I had a somewhat stressful afternoon at work, and while driving home I passed by Jack-In-The-Box and thought "stuffed jalapeños". But I quickly let the thought go and by the time I had gone half a mile, the jalapeños were forgotten.

Today, one of our customers who is originally from Turkey, brought some delicious-looking Turkish goodies to our office. There were some tasty looking rolled balls on a platter on the table and I was told there were more treats in the refrigerator. (I didn't even open the fridge. Fortunately I had already taken my shake out.) Then one of my coworkers told me, with a sparkle in her eyes, "Next week she's bringing baklava!"

Now, folks, before MWM this would have sent me into a foodie feeding frenzy. Now I practice acknowledging the food, appreciating the care and effort that went into preparing and presenting it, but accepting that it's just not for me right now.

I haven't told anyone at work about the plan yet. I am waiting for a while, until my weight loss becomes noticeable. I just don't want to explain and defend my choice, and listen to how someone's best friend's cousin's next door neighbor !DIED! because she did a VCL weight loss program. I want to keep it quiet and get my sea legs first.

Speaking of weight loss, I got on my bathroom scale and it shows that I have lost five pounds. I won't get too excited about it, since the scale at Kaiser is what counts (and is probably more accurate). But I feel differently than last week.

Another thing I have noticed is that water consumption is key to feeling full. Yesterday (the day I was jonesing for stuffed jalapeños) I slacked on drinking as much water.  Today I did my full 64 ounce jug at work, and will drink a bunch more tonight. And I didn't feel hungry. The temptation of the Turkish food was not hunger...it was more of an emotional craving based in curiosity.

I am hoping that the MWM plan at Kaiser will teach me to use these tools automatically in my life outside of the program. That is what I'm working toward.

No comments:

Post a Comment