Friday, March 7, 2014

Week 7, Day 4: The wisdom of illness and the opportunities it presents...

I have been battling a severe cold/flu (take your pick) since last Friday, all the while going to work every day and trying to keep up as best as I have been able, so it's been a tough week for me.

I did go to my MWM meeting at Kaiser on Monday and I lost 3.6 pounds last week, or 20.3 pounds total, since beginning product on January 21. I am feeling it in my clothes and it is becoming easier to move. A couple of people at work have noticed and I am now "out" with my MWM program.

The illness has made me a little bit weak, and I have been struggling to get all five of my products in every day. To be honest, I have only been able to ingest four products most days this week, but as I feel better will make a concerted effort to eat all five. I'm sure I've lost another pound or two since Monday. I haven't been able to exercise as much this week, but I've been walking as much as I can in regular life, and have been getting in 3000-4000 steps at work every day.

There are some advantages to being sick: No hunger! (That's a big plus!) Also, illness has a purifying effect, at least it does on me. It's a pain in the butt, and an inconvenience, and makes me feel like crap, but it forces me to see people and situations as they really are, not as I wish they were. A reality check, so to speak. Those little "aha moments" can be emotionally painful, but they are necessary. And for some reason my clearest emotional moments occur when my body is at its weakest.

Knock on wood…I am fortunate to be as relatively healthy as I have been (especially as overweight as I was and the neglectful way I've treated my body.) As I get older, I suspect it will be harder to shake off these viruses and other things as they arise. I hope I can learn from this week, and if/when more serious illness happens, I can endure it with strength and grace, as some of my friends and family members have done.

Cough, cough! I hope you all are keeping well!

No comments:

Post a Comment